Tuesday, July 19, 2011

To break or not to break?!

So today Mitch's mom took the girls to visit their great grandparents at the coast. Ghianna was so excited she could hardly sleep last night! I was so excited for a break of work, kids and the husband I could barely sleep! (It was like we were both going to Disneyland, but G was going to Grandma-land and I was going to quiet-alone time- land!)
So this morning, Mitty and I loaded the girls up and met his mom. While pulling out without the car seats and the girls my heart sank... I missed them already, but I had to suck it up. The girls were going to have a blast and I really did need a break and most of all Grandma needed a princess fix.
So, I planned a marvelous day for myself, I drove to the beach (where my mom lives) and we went to lunch, where of course I had a mimosa (remember no kids) then we went down tot he beach sat our chairs in the sand and just read... Well, pretty soon the tide started to come in, but ya know what.... We didn't move. We sat there, in silence (okay there were lots of giggles) lifting our feet and letting the waves roll right under our chairs. It was amazing. Listening to the waves crash on top of one another and smelling the salty sea air was refreshing.
We then went and got some ice cream and then went back to the beach (You can't go to the beach and not get ice cream, it's a law. I swear they will throw you in jail [well, at least that is what we think anyway])
My mom and I got some good visit time in, which was much needed. And I got some time to relax (I forgot how to do it at first). I wasn't having to chase Keylove around making sure she didn't crawl up the stairs or suck on any wires. I wasn't having to keep an eye on Gbabe or have to tell her no, not even once.
But... To be 110% honest.... It was weird, nice but weird.
Also, all day all the things that came out of my mouth were about the girls....
It is like you want a break so badly, a break from everything so you can just relax and not have to worry about anyone else but yourself. But when you get that break, and the kids wave bye-bye and the husbands kisses you and leaves for work and you are left all by yourself; you don't know what to do. You feel empty, you have been taking care of everyone else for so long, you don't know how to just take care of yourself for a change.
Why is it that we wish for a break and then when we get it we don't know what to do with ourselves?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that you came over to see me!!! The ocean was wonderful -- and the giggles and silence was a dream...
    I miss my 'only days' that we used to have--the 'only Allie' and 'only Katie' days... when just hanging out was enough... I ADORE seeing and being with the grandkids, as you know! However, rejoining those days of 'only' is really fun.
    THANK YOU HONEY!!!
    MOM

    ReplyDelete